Each page contains a picture of the animal as well as a map that showcases its original habitats and locations where they occur at present. Picker and Griffiths further describe the history of invasion, identification and biology, distribution, known ecological and economic impacts and control measures of each animal.
Key features are:
- Each group of animals is covered in a separate chapter written by a specialist in the field
- Colour photographs of each species
- Maps for each species’ native and introduced range, and a detailed map of its spread in South Africa
- Text covers identification and biology, distribution, impacts and control for the particular species
- Alien animals are considered in all habitats, including freshwater, terrestrial and marine.
- With its clear descriptions, photos, maps and informative text, this book will be an essential reference for conservationists, farmers, reserve managers, gardeners, anglers, biology students and researchers, and of interest to the lay public.
Alien & invasive animals — a South African perspective
By Mike Picker and Charles Griffiths, Struik Nature, September 2011, 240pp
Retail price: R 220 (approximate)