Some southern African reflections on “Post-border management” of IAPs
Ian A. W. Macdonald - International Environmental Consultant
Effective management of invasive alien plants once they have entered a defined area hinges on:
* knowing where the species is,
* how abundant is,
* how it is being disperses,
* how it can be controlled,
* how much would it cost to control it, and
* how much funding is available to control it.
A key approach to effective management is Early Detection followed by Rapid Response. This works by minimising the extent of the invasion when management is initiated, hence helping to ensure that the cost of control is still within the available funding limits.